
since i can remember, homelessness fascinates me.
telling jokes for money, recycling for money, holding doors for money, asking for money.
having a name. having a family. having a past. having a crack in the foundation called life.
what tipped the scale. what changed.
who is a victim and who had it coming?
i want to create a book of stories, as brief a story as i can make it, describing the exact moment that things tipped for this individual. a first hand account translated by my pen.
for example:
JOSH, early 20's
I met Josh outside the Mac's on Hemlock and Broadway after buying cigarettes:
I'm staying where I can, away from all the hectic stuff downtown. I think I'll look for my Dad if I can. My mom has completely turned on me. This dick she's married to now just made my life hell. She's a completely different person, she's totally lost to me.
If it weren't for him, I'd be alright.
Things are alright tonight.
Josh went to the high school for 'higher risk' kids right beside my high school. Josh now lives in and around the neighbourhood I barely afford to live in.
I think I'll try to record their voice so as to make it as true as possible. I had a conversation with Josh over 3 months ago, so my memory and story construction is poor.
I'd like to be able to have omniscient or semi omniscient accounts of those one or two moments in their lives when it bent all out of shape.
I just have to gather the guts and time to start.